Captain Cook's Cottage - $2.50

Although this is a replica, Captain Cook's Birthplace cottage, in 1810, was a low cottage of two rooms, one within the other. At the site now, is the Captain Cook Museum at Martin, North Yorkshire, England

Captain Cook Birthplace Cottage

Captain Cook's Birthplace,image Although it is long gone, Captain Cook's Birthplace cottage was described in 1810 as being a low cottage of two rooms, one within the other. At the site, now, stands the Captain Cook Museum at Martin, North Yorkshire, England

In 1933 the owner of the cottage in Gt. Ayton, that was builtby Captain Cook's father, decided to sell it. In a patriotic attemptto prevent its being taken to the United States by certain Americansshe made it a condition of sale that the building remain in England.However she was persuaded to change "England" to "theEmpire", and accepted an Australian bid of �800, asopposed to the highest local offer of �300 .
The Australian offer arose because a report of the forthcomingsale appeared in the Melbourne Herald. A week later it was suggestedto Mr. (later Sir) Russell Grimwade (a local businessman) thatthe cottage should he bought for re-erection in Melbourne, asthe capital city of Victoria, the state whose coastline includedCook's first Australian landfall; and it was Victoria's centenarythe following year....More Below
What people say...
Dear FG: Captain Cook's Cottage has been relocatedand stands today in the Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Not sure if it was hisbirthplace cottage, or where he lived whilst in England, but it's there.Stuart Lee (Feb 15, 01)

From above... Since this was Saturday, and the sale took place the followingWednesday there was no time to be lost. Grimwade decided to buythe cottage and donate it to the state.
The cottage was demolished brick by brick and packed into 253cases and 40 barrels, together with slips of the ivy from thewalls to be transplanted. Everything was put on board the PortDunedin which sailed from Hull. The transportation and rebuildingwas conducted by firms who waived most of their normal charges.
The newly opened cottage immediately became a popular attraction.During the following years it suffered from vandalism and in 1978was restored.
What we have today is a building which Cook probably saw, butwhich he may never have lived in. It is a building which has almostcertainly been very largely rebuilt in a different form sometimeabout the early nineteenth century.
It is thought that the Cooks built the cottage in 1755 shortlyafter Cook senior had left Thomas Skottowe's farm, Aireyholme,to become a stonemason. Over a doorway is the year "1755"and the initials "JCG", probably of the parents Jamesand Grace Cook. The young James Cook cannot have lived there forany significant time for he left Great Ayton in 1745 to work atStaithes; perhaps just for visits to his parents. It cannot bestated with certainty that Cook actually stayed at any time inthis cottage.
It is a detached house of two storeys with only one main chamberon each floor. In Great Ayton it fronted directly on to a laneknown in Cook's time as Goat Lane and now called Easby Lane. Littleis known of the original garden; the modern one tries to looklike an eighteenth century English cottage garden. The plantsused are species which could feasibly have been in use then, butit seems unlikely that the range of plants would have all beenpresent in any one particular garden. And it is by no means certainthat the Cooks were keen gardeners. The cottage was sold unfurnished.None of the present contents, except one, has any direct connectionwith Captain Cook or his family. But all have been carefully selectedas original or reproduced pieces representative of the period.The "Ditty Box", a studdied hide-covered wood used bysailors and fishermen to hold their smaller possessions, bearsthe initials "JC" and is reputed to have been the personalproperty of Captain James Cook.
Cooks' Cottage stands in Fitzroy Gardens, close to the centreof Melbourne. A short guide entitled "Cooks' Cottage"is available. It is edited by J.P. Rogan, published by the JointManagement Committee of Cooks' Cottage, 1979....... Milan Filipovic
Captain Cook,rear vuCaptain Cook,front vu